The Mayor’s role
Andy Street was elected as Mayor of the West Midlands in 2017. He is chair of the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA).
Before he became the Mayor, Andy was the managing director of John Lewis, where he started his career as a graduate trainee.
You can find out more about Andy in his biography.
What the Mayor does
The Mayor represents about 2.8m people in:
He is responsible for:
- economic growth in the region
- improving our transport network
- improving housing in the region
- tackling unemployment and developing jobseekers’ skills
- tackling homelessness
- improving air quality
- improving relationships between different parts of the community in the region
Latest from the Mayor
13 October 2021
Joint statement says homophobes do not represent Birmingham and they never will.
01 October 2021
Free places on workshops to help boost Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic businesses
28 September 2021
Cricket fan Andy Street hosts tournament, which aims to unite different generations and communities.
11 August 2021
Call to residents to clear litter ahead of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.