The proposed new University station will provide flagship facilities to accommodate future rail passenger growth and act as a fitting gateway to the world class hospitals and University campus.
The new station will include:
- A new station building providing access to both platforms
- A direct link with the University Campus over the canall
- A doubling of platform widths to accommodate peak time passenger flows
- Canopy coverage along platforms
- Enhanced public space linking the station with existing bus stops and hospitals
- Working in partnership
WMRE and TfWM are leading the project to create a fit for the future station capable of accommodating 7.2 million passengers a year.
The plans have been drawn up by WMRE and TfWM with costs covered from a range of funding partners, including significantly, the University of Birmingham. They are being developed in close collaboration with train operator West Midlands Railway and Network Rail.